Disponible/available in: Français (French)
The Carlington Community is an innovative partnership between OCH and the Carlington Community Health Centre, which includes new affordable homes for low-income seniors, integrating primary medical care and support services under the same roof.
This new community includes an expansion of the current health clinic and 42 new residential homes for seniors, including 12 barrier-free, and 30 visitable homes. The focus of this innovative model is to keep senior citizens in their homes by providing on-site access to medical and support services, therefore delaying their need to enter a long-term care facility.
Other design features in the building include the following:
- Building envelope and mechanical systems designed for high performance and passive solar design to minimize on-going operating energy costs, while minimizing the carbon footprint.
- Plumbing fixtures and individual meters that will regulate electricity and water consumption
- Each floor has audio, tactile, and visual features to assist with directions
- Each residential floor has a common amenity space, providing laundry, kitchenette and social space for tenants.
- A rooftop raised garden and rest area to promote communal activity, food security, and personal health.
- The design incorporates best practice design for seniors/accessible/visitable housing.
- A common gathering space on the main floor that will be shared with CCHC for events.
Status: Construction began in the spring of 2017
This project expansion and renovation by OCH and CCHC represents a total investment of approximately $18 million. In addition to the $4.6 million in capital funding provided under the federal-provincial Investment in Affordable Housing for Ontario Program and the City of Ottawa’s 2015 Action Ottawa, OCH funded $5.1 million, and CCHC will contribute the remaining $8 million. This project would not be possible without the financial support of the City of Ottawa, the Government of Ontario and the Government of Canada.
Expected Completion Date
The Carlington Community is located at the corner of Merivale Road and Coldrey Avenue in south-west Central Ottawa. The existing Community Health Centre sits on the Eastern end of the site, near Merivale Road. This four-storey new build will extend along Coldrey Avenue in an area mostly occupied by the existing parking lot. The partnership will add to affordable housing in the area and will benefit from it’s proximity to a myriad of services and basic needs, including groceries, pharmaceuticals, transit, and services.
OCH Partners with Carlington Community Health Centre to Build a New $13M Health Hub for Seniors