Mikinak Community is the newest affordable housing development in Ottawa. Located in Wateridge Village, overlooking the Ottawa River, the legacy of the former Canadian Forces Base Rockcliffe lands, and modern urban design’s brilliance.
Visionary and masterful in scope, Wateridge Village is now home to design-forward residences, retail and office space, unparalleled amenities, beautiful parks, trails, and so much more. The neighbourhood is surrounded by National Capital Commission parkland with walking paths, a shopping mall and a community centre within walking distance. Local transit is also close by.
Mikinak community will offer 271 units in three buildings, including studio, one, two, and three-bedroom apartments.
Offering below-market priced rentals, this new community will be home to the working middle class who are being outpaced by the soaring rental costs in the City of Ottawa. The current concept will also incorporate commercial and outdoor amenity space.
Amenities & Features
Residents will enjoy a playground for toddlers, a BBQ area, sitting areas, raised gardens for community use, and a restoration sitting area.
Other design features in the building include the following:
- Building envelope and mechanical systems designed for high performance, including
- passive house design to minimize ongoing heating/cooling energy costs
- zero carbon footprint
- Wastewater heat recovery
- PV solar panel array on all roofs
- High-efficiency HVAC for heating/cooling
- Permeable paving and hardscape to reduce runoff
- Plumbing fixtures and individual meters will regulate electricity and water consumption.
- Each floor has audio, tactile, and visual features to assist with directions
- The design incorporates best practice design for seniors/accessible/visitable/barrier-free housing.
- A common gathering space on all main floors
- Pursuing commercial space in two buildings
- WELL standard stairwells with natural light to encourage use and exercise
The new community will be designed for transit-oriented living with bicycle parking, good access to busses, and surrounding pathways and connection routes.
The construction design will target the highest levels of sustainability and efficiency, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and operating costs for both the tenants and landlord.
Construction is expected to begin in the Fall of 2021.
This multi-million dollar development is possible because of the contribution of the following investors:
Ottawa Community Housing and the City of Ottawa.
Expected Completion Date
- Approval of the project: November 2019
- Information session: June 2021
- Groundbreaking Fall 2021
- Official Opening Spring 2024
- Move-in day Staggered, commencing early 2024
This post is also available in: Français (French)