Disponible/available in: Français (French)
Mikinak Community is the newest affordable housing development in Ottawa. Located in Wateridge Village, overlooking the Ottawa River, the legacy of the former Canadian Forces Base Rockcliffe lands, and modern urban design’s brilliance.
Visionary and masterful in scope, Wateridge Village is now home to design-forward residences, retail and office space, unparalleled amenities, beautiful parks, trails, and so much more. Affordable housing was a key element of the master planning for this community.
The neighbourhood is surrounded by National Capital Commission parkland with walking paths, a shopping mall and a community centre within walking distance. Local transit is also close by.
Mikinàk community will offer 271 units in three buildings, including studio, one, two, and three-bedroom apartments with different levels of affordability.
Offering below-market priced rentals, this new community will be home to the working middle class outpaced by the soaring rental costs in the City of Ottawa. The current concept will also incorporate commercial and outdoor amenity space.
The development will include a series of non-residential spaces that will be used for commercial rentals, community services and a number of work/live units.
The development will also include multiple Car Share parking spaces that will be available for use by tenants as well as the broader community. This offering will be scaled over time as demand warrants.
Amenities & Features
Residents will enjoy a playground for toddlers, a BBQ area, sitting areas, raised gardens for community use, and a restoration sitting area.
Other design features in the building include the following:
- Building envelope and mechanical systems designed for high performance, including
- Passive house design to minimize ongoing heating/cooling energy costs
- zero carbon footprint
- Wastewater heat recovery
- PV solar panel array on all roofs
- High-efficiency HVAC for heating/cooling
- Permeable paving and hardscape to reduce runoff
- Plumbing fixtures and individual meters will regulate electricity and water consumption.
- Each floor has audio, tactile, and visual features to assist with directions
- The design incorporates best practice design for seniors/accessible/visitable/barrier-free housing.
- Pursuing commercial space on main floors of all 3 buildings
- WELL standard stairwells with natural light to encourage use and exercise
The new community will be designed for transit-oriented living with bicycle parking, public transit, and surrounding pathways and connection routes.
Construction is expected to begin early 2022.
Expected Completion Date
This multi-million dollar development is possible because of the contribution of the following investors:
Ottawa Community Housing, National Housing Co-Investment Fund CMHC, the OPHI – Ontario Priorities Housing Initiative and the City of Ottawa.
- Approval of the project: November 2019
- Information session: June 2021
- Pomerleau Topping Out Event: March 2023
- Official Opening Summer 2024
- Move-in day Staggered, commencing mid 2024