- Report Rodents
- Preparation and Treatment
- Day Of the Treatment
- Pest Prevention
- Download your copy here!
- Colour: brown or grey.
- Size: a head and body length is 15 to 28 cm; the tail ranges in length from 10.5 to 24 cm.
- Weight: 140 to 500g.
- Burrow in the ground or under patio stones.
- Will live in piles of debris or undisturbed items like clothing.
- Eat what humans eat and most grains.
- Chew holes through plastic, metal and wood.
- Active at night; can carry diseases.
- Colour: ranging from white to black.
- Size: a nose to base of tail length is 7.5 to 10 cm; tail ranges in length from 5 to 10 cm.
- Weight: 40 to 45g.
- The ears and tail have little hair.
- Prefer to eat seeds and insects, but will eat many kinds of food.
- Colorblind and cannot see clearly beyond six inches.
- Active at night; excellent climbers and can jump up to a foot high.
Call OCH 613-731-1182 (option 3) at first sight of any pest.
OCH will have our pest control technician visit your home.
During the first visit
- The pest control technician may place bait stations for outdoor rodent activity and traps for mice.
- The pest control technician will also look for and seal access points into your home to prevent more rodents from entering.
- OCH staff may confirm and schedule a new appointment for the following day if there are traps placed in your home.
Preparation and Treatment
To have a greater chance of success, it is essential to follow these steps.
- Treatment will take place where you see activity such as a kitchen, basement, etc.
- Remove items like pots and dishes from under the kitchen sink.
- Remove stored items (like full boxes) from mouse active areas in your basement or garage.
- Always spray mouse droppings with a disinfectant product or 10 parts water and 1 part bleach before removing them.
Day Of the Treatment
Review Prepare for the Day of Treatment Checklist.
- Wait for the pest control technician to arrive (maximum wait 4h) or make arrangements for us to access your home and give us a phone number where we can reach you.
- Remove your pets from your home treatment areas during the process.
- The pest control technician will seal any areas where mice have or may enter your home.
Other Rodents Control
- Rats: Installation of bait stations on the exterior of the home or traps inside the home.
- Raccoons and squirrels: Installation of oneway doors and reparation of the damaged building material if applicable.
It is easy when you think about it!
- Keep garbage in sealed containers and areas clean.
- Remove stored items and debris from your yard so rodents can’t hide in them.
- Mow the lawn often. Keep the grass short.
- Do not feed squirrels and pigeons. They attract rodents like rats.
- Look for animal burrows and holes in the ground as this is a sign of activity. If found, call 613-731-1182 (option 2) so it can be controlled and then repaired later if required.
- Keep all doors closed.
- Make sure you have screens on your windows to keep mice out.
- Ask for OCH assistance or, if possible, seal holes around outer pipes and dryer vents by yourself.
- Call OCH Call Centre if you see rodents in the community.
You can also additional information on this Ottawa Public Health webpage: Rat Control