Tenant Insurance

Disponible/available in: Français (French)

Tenant insurance is mandatory for all new and transferred tenants.

Every year, tenants in our communities lose belongings due to fire, among other circumstances. Any damage that occurs in your home is your responsibility. Without any insurance, it may cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars to pay for the lost items affected by fire and any damage to the property. Insurance can help cover the replacement and/or repair of belongings and property up to a certain amount, depending on your plan.

As of March 2014, all new tenants and tenants who are transferring within OCH are required to show proof of insurance before signing the lease. If you have signed a new lease or transferred since March 2014, you also have to provide yearly confirmation of insurance coverage to OCH. The tenant insurance policy protects you and your family in the case of fire, theft or water damage to your possessions. It also protects you if you cause damage to your home and the property of others.

Protect yourself and your belongings – purchase tenant insurance. If you do not have tenant insurance, contact your nearest OCH office to get more information on insurance options.

Your Insurance Fees May Be Covered

You might be able to include your insurance fees as part of your shelter allowance under Ontario Works (OW) benefits or the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). Speak to your caseworker for more details.

A typical insurance package can cost between $17-$21 per month. With an annual fee between $200-$250, you can get coverage for $20,000-$30,000 for household items and up to $1 million for personal liability. You may even qualify for a discount if you are a senior or a non-smoker.

*Estimates based on rates from a major Ottawa insurance company

You might be able to include your insurance fees as part of your Ontario Works benefits or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). As long as your total monthly housing cost (rent + utilities + insurance) is less then your Maximum Monthly Shelter Allowance, Ontario Works or ODSP can pay for your insurance.

Example for a family of 2 on Ontario Works:

Rent: $300

Utilities:  $100

Insurance:  $20

TOTAL: $420 (less than the $511 shelter allowance)

More Information

The Insurance Bureau of Canada can answer questions about tenant insurance, however they do not provide any quotes for insurance. For more information, e-mail consumercentre@ibc.ca, or call 1-800-387-2880.

Insurance Canada has great information about what you should know before buying insurance, and their website provides a directory of insurance providers.

Housing Services Corporation (HSC) is a non-profit organization that works to ensure that Ontario residents have access to safe and affordable housing. HSC has an exclusive Tenant Insurance Program.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email