Disponible/available in: Français (French)
(OTTAWA, ON) – October 28, 2022 – Ottawa Community Housing Corporation is proud to announce that the organization has been selected as a winner in the 2022 VOscars Awards on October 27.
Ottawa Community Housing’s Volunteer Engagement Program was selected in the category of Outstanding Volunteer Program. At OCHC, we are honoured to be named alongside the category finalists Habitat for Humanity Greater Ottawa and Community Alley Trappers.
The program, established in 2011, provides a unique and rewarding way for volunteers to help make a community a better place to live. Since its launch, program participants have donated nearly 35,000 hours to help improve tenants’ lives.
Many exciting things are happening with the Volunteer Engagement Program. The team has shown innovation in providing new projects each year that make a difference in the lives of tenants – through improvements in OCHC communities and work that benefits partner agencies.
– Stéphane Giguère, Chief Executive Officer, OCHC
Volunteers are at the heart of community engagement success stories. By working with our volunteer partners, we are able to deliver change that enhances OCHC communities and increases pride of place.
– Brian Gilligan, Chief Community and Tenant Support Officer, OCHC
- In 2022, OCHC began working with Canada Revenue Agency on Community Volunteer Income Tax Clinics to help prevent subsidy loss. Volunteers hosted 8 clinics.
- To date volunteers have completed 42 projects in OCHC communities this year.
- OCHC began a new partnership with Tomorrow’s Trades. It provides an opportunity for those studying to enter the construction trades to gain skills and provides OCHC with support and help on beautification projects such as building garden boxes or fixing fences.
About Ottawa Community Housing Corporation
Ottawa Community Housing Corporation (OCHC) provides approximately 15,000 homes to about 32,000 tenants, including seniors, parents, children, couples, singles and persons with special needs, within many communities across the City of Ottawa. OCHC houses a diverse population of varying languages, ethnicity and cultures. OCHC is the largest social housing provider in Ottawa, managing two-thirds of the City’s social housing portfolio, and is the second-largest in Ontario. OCHC was selected as one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. www.och-lco.ca | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram
Communications and Marketing Specialist