Disponible/available in: Français (French)
February 1, 2022 (OTTAWA, ON) – Following today’s announcement, Ottawa Community Housing Corporation (OCHC) is honoured to have been named one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers for the fifth consecutive year. We celebrate this recognition with our dedicated team of employees who work to build better communities together.
The National Capital Region’s Top Employer is a special designation that recognizes industry leaders throughout the National Capital Region that offer exceptional workplaces.
Employers are evaluated based on eight criteria: physical workspace; work atmosphere and social, health, financial and family benefits; vacation and time off; employee communications; performance management; training and skills development; and community involvement.
OCHC employees provide support and services to approximately 32,000 tenants. Staff serve tenants with a variety of skills, including property management and maintenance, safety and security, tenancy support and administration and community development. Staff also indirectly support service delivery through engineering services, accounting and financial management, human resources, communication and others.
OCHC employees work together to create an environment where they can work, grow, learn, and share their passion for helping others. The values of collaboration, accountability, respect and excellence are at the core of everything OCHC does.
Through the Employee Volunteer Engagement Program, OCHC employees have worked with the Ottawa Foodbank and the Ottawa-Carleton Association for Persons with Developmental Disabilities on three employee volunteer projects this year. Staff also made 600 sandwiches for the Ottawa Mission and donated or supported other community charities during the year. In 2021, the staff gave back 350 hours to projects that improved the lives of vulnerable residents.
“Our team continues to support our tenants and the larger community by making a difference every day. In 2021, we accomplished many initiatives, and we should all be proud of the work we have done to continuously improve. As the CEO, I am passionate about the ability that our organization has to achieve our mission by bringing our people together and by being a business with a clear sense of purpose.”
– Stéphane Giguère, Chief Executive Officer, OCHC
“As Chair of Ottawa Community Housing’s Board of Directors, I see the commitment shown by our staff every day to support our tenants 365 days a year. It is important that our employees feel supported in their important work, and this recognition shows that as a corporation we are on the right track.”
– Mathieu Fleury, Rideau-Vanier Councillor and OCHC Board Chair
“Recognition by the National Capital Region’s Top Employers shows that we are giving our employees the tools they need to succeed. We have pushed forward some key initiatives, including Employee Resource Groups – part of our work on Diversity and Inclusion – as well as many other initiatives that engage our employees.”
– Shaun Simms, Chief People and Communications Officer, OCHC
- OCHC has more than 400 permanent, full-time and part-time employees serving OCH communities through five districts and a head office on Auriga Drive
- Many industry leaders have recognized OCHC employees and the programs they spearhead. In the last year, staff has received recognition for sustainable new builds that increase affordable housing capacity while reducing the Corporation’s carbon footprint. Staff have also received awards for their work to transform OCHC’s corporate culture, human resources and for their efforts towards environmental sustainability – both with new builds and retrofits and through an engagement program that reduces consumption and diverts waste.
- In 2021 OCHC was able to hire 43 summer students in five departments: Communications, Governance and Strategy, Human Resources, Landscaping and Tenancy Administration.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic, staff have been provided with the latest public health information on a dedicated intranet site. The site includes information on wellness, as well as advice on working remotely – including a home office ergonomic assessment. It also provides information about mental health supports.
- We received 3,822 applications for jobs at OCHC in 2021.
- OCH was an early adopter of virtual services with an emphasis on mental health counselling and telehealth appointments.
Communications and Marketing Specialist
OCHC provides approximately 15,000 homes to about 32,000 tenants, including seniors, parents, children, couples, singles, and persons with special needs, within many communities across the City of Ottawa. OCHC houses a diverse population of varying languages, ethnicity, and cultures. OCHC is the largest social housing provider in Ottawa, managing two-thirds of the City’s social housing portfolio, and is the second-largest in Ontario. OCHC was selected as one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. www.och-lco.ca | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram