Oct 24th, 2022
News Release: OCHC Recognized as a Leader in the HR Field
Share this story
Oct. 24, 2022, Ottawa, ON – Ottawa Community Housing is proud to announce that we have been named as part of Human Resource Director Canada’s 5-Star Benefits Program Awards.
The award recipients are selected based on staff responses to a survey that evaluates available benefits and employee recognition.
Over the last two years, OCHC has initiated a holistic approach to employee wellness, providing programs that support physical and mental health.
The Human Resources team collaborated with managers and front-line employees to develop a wellness committee to understand the needs of OCHC. The recently implemented Peer Support Program provides basic support to employees dealing with social, emotional or mental health concerns by identifying the employees’ needs and directing them to the appropriate and available workplace resources. Other initiatives include “Wellness Wednesdays” – aimed at bringing virtual wellness into the workplace – and the Healthy Living Account, which allows employees to choose how they spend their healthcare benefits.
- Wellness Wednesdays Programs evaluation received an average rating of 4.65 out of 5
- Lost time due to injuries has decreased by 20% for the first quarter of 2022 compared to last year.
We are proud that as a result of our efforts, we have seen the following impacts:
- It increased awareness and knowledge about available mental and physical health benefits and resources.
- Managers are better equipped to provide support to their employees in the areas of health and well-being.
- Enhanced overall benefits offerings – OCHC’s program became more comprehensive by introducing more employee benefits such as virtual health services, healthcare spending accounts, additional paid days off and information sessions.
“We strive to support staff as they improve the lives of tenants across the city each day. I want to congratulate the HR team as this illustrates the commitment and innovation they have shown in developing initiatives that foster a more inclusive workplace and bolster employee wellbeing.” Stéphane Giguère, Chief Executive Officer, OCHC
“It is so important to understand how Corporate Culture impacts employee well-being and engagement. The OCHC team is a true testament to our culture of care, and a demonstration of our commitment to the communities we serve.” Shaun Simms, Chief People and Communications Officer
About Ottawa Community Housing Corporation
Ottawa Community Housing Corporation (OCHC) provides approximately 15,000 homes to about 32,000 tenants, including seniors, parents, children, couples, singles and persons with special needs, within many communities across the City of Ottawa. OCHC houses a diverse population of varying languages, ethnicity and cultures. OCHC is the largest social housing provider in Ottawa, managing two-thirds of the City’s social housing portfolio, and is the second-largest in Ontario. OCHC was selected as one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.