Disponible/available in: Français (French)
November 3, 2022, Toronto, ON – Ottawa Community Housing Corporation is proud to announce that Chief Executive Officer Stéphane Giguère has received the Sybil Frenette Award for Outstanding Leadership at the Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association’s Our Shared Horizon Conference.
This award recognizes individuals whose energy and vision have furthered the cause of non-proﬁt housing in Ontario. These leaders have created a lasting legacy through signiﬁcant contributions to their organizations, communities and the sector and have demonstrated vision, collaboration, and commitment in their efforts to serve low-income individuals. Their initiatives demonstrate promising outcomes and serve as inspirations for other non-profit housing providers.
Stéphane Giguère makes a difference every day. He leads the fourth largest social and affordable housing provider in Ontario. This award-winning organization is home to 32,000 residents living in OCHC communities. Since joining OCHC, Stephane has been leading the renewal of OCHC’s $3B portfolio, generating more than $700M in new investments while improving the client experience.
As a leader of a corporation that provides community and affordable housing, Stéphane knows housing is more than just bricks and mortar. He is committed to innovation and working with partners to ensure all tenants – often the most vulnerable are supported.
- OCHC is working with partners such as the University of Ottawa Centre for Research on Community Services to identify service gaps for tenants facing mental health and addiction issues
- OCHC has a robust Volunteer Engagement Program, which helps to complete beautification projects that make communities more welcoming for residents. In 2022, partners have completed nearly 60 projects and donated more than 4,000 hours to benefit thousands of OCHC tenants.
- OCHC is committed to green innovation – our Prefabricated Exterior Energy Retrofit Project on Presland Avenue was completed in 2021. Working with partners at Natural Resources Canada, we were able to make the homes net zero – meaning they produce as much energy as they consume. The project was selected as Energy Project of the Year for the Canadian Region by the Association of Energy Engineers.
- OCHC has been a recipient of the National Capital Region Top Employer Award for five years in a row.
“Stéphane has a mission, to make OCHC a better place to work and live, every day. His focus on innovation and continuous improvement has helped position the corporation as a leader in the housing sector.”
– Shaun Simms, Chief, People and Communications Officer, OCHC
“Leadership is a shared responsibility with our governance, staff, partners, and tenants. I want to recognize and thank all of them for their support in making OCHC better each and every day. I am honoured and humbled to be selected for this prestigious award. I want to commend ONPHA (Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association) for fostering collaboration among housing stakeholders – creating an environment that creates better, more inclusive communities for our residents.
– Stéphane Giguère, Chief Executive Officer, OCHC
About Ottawa Community Housing Corporation
Ottawa Community Housing Corporation (OCHC) provides approximately 15,000 homes to about 32,000 tenants, including seniors, parents, children, couples, singles and persons with special needs, within many communities across the City of Ottawa. OCHC houses a diverse population of varying languages, ethnicity and cultures. OCHC is the largest social housing provider in Ottawa, managing two-thirds of the City’s social housing portfolio, and is the second-largest in Ontario. OCHC was selected as one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. www.och-lco.ca | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram
Communications and Marketing Specialist
Ottawa Community Housing